Supported Employment Specialists assist customers with the most significant disabilities to obtain or maintain competitive integrated employment by:
- Providing individualized assistance in finding an appropriate job match
- Providing ongoing support services
- Establishing extended services, sometimes called long-term supports
The course curriculum includes topics such as:
- Criteria for customers in supported employment
- Discovery, Person Centered Planning (PCP) and the Career Planning Assessment (CPA)
- Situational assessments and job analysis
- Individual job development and job placement
- Worksite training strategies
- Job stability
- Workplace supports, natural supports, paid supports and use of compensatory techniques
- Funding and resources for Extended Services
- Documentation requirements and required outcomes for payment for each supported employment benchmark
This online, 6-week, course is instructor-led, providing personalized feedback on assignments and requires the student to complete assignments to earn points to advance through the course to be eligible to take the competency test. A participant not earning the required points will not be offered an opportunity to take the final test. A score of 75% or higher must be achieved to receive the credential.
Please note that this course has assignments that are due weekly. Click to view the PDF example of the course schedule.
To maintain the Supported Employment credential, continuing education credits are required to be completed prior to expiration of the credential.
Pre-Requisite: Successful completion of the Job Skills Training and Job Placement courses are pre-requisites for this course.
Contact Hours: 30 contact hours available for completing the course requirements.
Platform: Online, instructor-led
If you require accommodation, please email your request to UNTWISE@unt.edu. Please include your name and registration date in the email.
Employment service credential courses are eligible for the expedited verification process. For more information, click here: Expedited Verification Process.
Please contact UNTWISE at (940) 565-4000 or UNTWISE@unt.edu for further assistance.